Furuno Felcom 250 Inmarsat FleetBroadband System
FELCOM250 and FELCOM500 are FURUNO’s new Inmarsat FleetBroadband terminals,
which delivers ship-to-shore/ ship-to-ship broadband communication of up to 432
kbps together with voice communication all at the same time by utilising the
latest generation Inmarsat I-4 satellites.
FleetBroadband offers the data communication services with both shared
bandwidth (Standard IP of up to 432 kbps) and dedicated data rate (Streaming IP
of up to 256 kbps). On top of that, the users can make use of ISDN data service*
as well as FAX communication.
FELCOM250 and FELCOM500 will bring cost-effective broadband communication
onboard the vessels for a variety of needs, for both operational and social
purposes, including calling their friends and family back home while at sea.
* available only for FELCOM500
Features of FELCOM250/FELCOM500
- A wide variety of maritime broadband communication services available.
- Simultaneous access to voice and high-speed data communications.
- Global coverage provided through three Inmarsat-4 satellites.(except for
- IP handset and IP-PBX incorporated.
- Multiple IP handsets can be incorporated into the network by using the
- Wireless IP phones can be utilized.(wireless LAN access points required)
- No dedicated software required for configuration setup.(web server
- Simplified installation through a compact antenna unit with a diameter of
around 60 cm, weighing around 20kg.(FELCOM500)
- Communication Unit supporting all major communication systems carrying
ports to facilitate plug-and-play system integration.
- Built-in NAT router facilitates smooth network integration to the
- Incoming indicators available.(optional supply)
FB-2000 Communication Unit
- RS-232C 9pin D-Sub female connector for ISDN UDI/RDI.
- NMEA in/out Phoenix 5pin (NMEA 0183 Ver.2) for navigation equipment.
- Alarm output Phoenix 3pin for alarm equipment.
- For power supply.
- For Antenna Unit.(Antenna cable length selectable 30m or 50m)
- LAN RJ45 ports for IP handsets, PC/network equipment, telephone hub.
- Telephone RJ11 for telephones and facsimile.
- Telephone Phoenix 4pin for telephones and facsimile.
- USIM card slot.
System Overview of FleetBroadband
- I4 satellite F1 PAC-W 143.5E: Covering Oceania, Western Pacific and South
and East Asia.
- I4 satellite F2 IND-W 25E: Covering Western Asia, Africa and Eastern
- I4 satellite F3 PAC-E 98W: Covering Western Atlantic, Eastern Pacific and
Features of Inmarsat FleetBroadband service applications.
Selectable data rates for data communications according to needs:
Service providing best effort delivery of 432 kbps.(FELCOM500, 284 kbps
for FELCOM250) (connected through shared connection pipe: less
traffic—higher throughput, and more traffic—lower throughput)
Guaranteed streaming data rates on demand, rates selectable from 32, 64,
128 or 256 kbps. (no contention amongst those who are connected in the same
network—guaranteed throughput at all times)
Suitable for typical office applications such as e-mail, web browsing,
FTP, VPN, etc.
Suitable for bandwidth-hungry large data transfer, i.e., real-time
streaming video and audio, Voice over IP, etc.
Data service charged for data sent and received.
Service charged for the duration of the connection to the network.
These dedicated streaming channels can run independently while the
standard IP service is running in the background, meaning that a host of
applications can be running simultaneously.
Crystal clear voice telephony
- 4 kbps cost-effective, landline quality speech available.
- Supports one circuit switched service at any one time.
- Simultaneous use together with data communications.
High stability in communication links achieves constant network availability
even under harsh environmental conditions.
Supports additional core voice and ISDN data capabilities for integration
with legacy applications.
- ISDN compatibility available on FELCOM500.
SMS (up to 160 characters) and voice mail.
(Best effort delivery)
Up to 284 kbps
Up to 432 kbps
(Guaranteed data rate)
32, 64, 128 kbps
32, 64, 128, 256 kbps
4 kbps AMBE+2/3.1 kHz audio
Simultaneously usable with packet data and IP services
Group 3 FAX via 3.1 kHz audio
Standard 3G (up to 160 characters)
With its simultaneous voice and data capability, FELCOM250 and FELCOM500 can
support an extensive range of user applications. All tasks can be conducted all
at the same time through a single terminal. N.B., Certain network devices must
be arranged locally, in order for you to make use of some of the applications.
Social communication and increased welfare for crewmembers.
Crewmembers are now able to make private phone calls or send SMS using
their SIM card to their friends and families back home. They can also browse
the web to read news from home, football results or any other news of their
Educational opportunities for crewmembers using distance learning.
Using their off-duty time in a more productive manner has become very
popular amongst navigators. VSAT allows crewmembers to attend off-campus
distance learning courses through IP applications such as.
Troubleshooting in case of equipment failure.
In case of failure of engine or other onboard equipment, chief engineers
onboard can set up live, on-the-spot remote condition-review and
troubleshooting sessions with service engineers from various manufacturers
onshore. A reliable high bandwidth connection is essential for enabling these
functions, and FleetBroadband provides a perfect